Friday, May 22, 2009

Un Euro - Thursday May 21, 2009








Yesterday I got up and rather than having breakfast here I walked to Gare de Lyon to do some reconnaissance.  I wanted to see where we would pick up our car.  I also wanted to see if there was truly locker space available.  Also I had heard that Le Train Blue, located within the Gare, is an experience not to be missed.  IN addition, I had heard that breakfast is the best choice because the food is not all that great, but the atmosphere is fabulous.  It indeed is.  The décor strongly suggested Versailles.  I sat and read, enjoyed my coffee, pastry and fresh OJ for quite a while.  Unfortunately I had an energy crisis and my camera battery was back at the apartment getting recharged, so my photos are not of the best quality.  I could not really get a good one in the restaurant.  L  Then I got down to business.  The auto rental and the lockers are on the exact opposite parts of the station, but it is better than not being able to get everything in the car.  That done I came back to freshen up and then went to the marche.  I wandered, bought myself some more flowers, 2 eggs, and some lunch.  I have no idea what it was called but it was very good.  I am pretty sure that the meat was ham and I am thinking Jodi will LOVE those veges.   There are leftovers.    I got tickled at these two little girls in the photo, I could not see attentive parents anywhere and the girls were entranced by this organ grinder.  He was just paying away. The things on top of the wooden crate are the booklets that make his organ work.  He put one and started turning and the grinder would pull it in and spit it out the other side, resulting in some music.  The green objects here are Courgettes, but I have not ever seen them round like this. I have seen this type of zucchini at several markets here.  I got to the market quite late and several of the vendors were shouting, “Un Euro…… Un Euro” .  SO much so, that it became singsong.  I stepped out to the curb to look for my street and there was a young child sitting strapped in a seat in n open van and she looked at me grinned and said “Un Euro”  I got tickled and laughed and it became a game.  She was so cute! 

 So after my very good but mysterious lunch I took off for the PURSE shop, there are several that need my consideration.  I wandered in the 5th and 6th for a long while, finding a walking street that I had not ever noticed.  I have no idea how we missed it as we have been up and down rue de Saint Andres Des Artes a hundred times, but it was charming and there was a fun little tea shop that called out to me.  I had an apple and rhubarb crumble that is a new twist and a yummy one!  It was served with sour cream, and that too was yummy!  After I left my sweet little tea shop, I encountered an ubiquitous Starbucks!  What is right with that?  I guess also that Subway has made it here BIG TIME!

I wandered and wandered and finally ended up at Les Fetes Galant to meet Julia and Jeff.  I had texted her and for some reason it did not go through, so we finally made contact and got off to a late start but had a good time.  I think my favorite restaurant needs a good spiffing up, but the salad I had was good, the meat o.k. And my chocolate mousse was adorned with various fruits to make it look like a mouse!  We shared a bottle of wine and like I said we had a nice time.  OR at least I did!  We did not get out of there until 12:30 so another late night for me.  But there is nothing like good food and even better companionship.  

No comments: