Sunday, May 24, 2009

Praying, Knitting and Eating my way through Sunday











Notre Dame was calling my name again today, so I took the metro to the Cite metro stop and walked the little way left to arrive just in time.  There are Mass “Nazis” in the sanctuary and they are serious about not letting tourists in for mass!  Good thing you don’t have to prove that you are Catholic too or I would be up the creek.  Today there was a choir from somewhere English speaking, but they sang in Latin.  I just don’t know what it is that ‘gets’ me about passing the peace, but I about bawl every time.  This time I got to pass the peak to a bunch of Italians, an angel who sat behind me and sang every line, and a couple of Americans.  All in al it was another very nice service.   A friend asked me to light a candle and say a prayer for her.  So before I left I honored her request.  

Next Le Fleur en Isle called to me, it was hot and the steak tartare sounded good.  I had to laugh at the waiter; he was very worried that I understand that is it not cooked.  And then in an honest effort to me happy he brought ketchup.  Bless his heart; I had to ask for mayonnaise for my fries.  Which I ate, and they were pretty good.  About half way through my meal two young men from Texas were seated next to me that made for nice conversation for a while.


Then I went to one of my favorite places in Paris, Square JeanXXIII. It is directly behind Notre Dame and it had a spectacular view, as well as some of the most beautiful roses I have ever seen.  I read for a while, knitted a few rows and then had to try my hand at artsy photography of the roses.  There was an art showing there too, and it was fun to stroll around looking at the various things offered.  Then at 4:30 every Sunday there is someone who plays the organ for about 30-45 minutes, before the evening Vespers service.  So I availed my self of the cool interior of Notre Dame for a little free music.  It was lovely and powerful, in the way that only organ music can be.  Then I made my way to another Dallloyau location (I had noticed that they were open on Sunday when snooping last night) and had pear juice with real ice cubes and macaroons: Pistachio, Champagne, and Apricot.  It was 82 degrees and Sunny here today; so those ice cubes were a gift straight from Heaven. I had wanted to sit outside, but it was gloriously cool in side as well.  Some times not getting what you want IS a blessing.

Then I went to Luxembourg and sat in the shade there for quite a while, there was a cool breeze and it was pleasant, there were so many people that the sound in the park reminded me of summer nights with many locusts chattering.  There is a new golden figure of a head there that required closer examination, but I decided that once again the Parisians had (to quote Jodi) crapped up a good thing!  I wandered looking at some of the statues of the Queens of France that line the park and then went in search of food.  Lucky for these two lovers in the photo, there are not kissing "Nazis" in Luxembourg Gardens!

Polidor was close and I decided that it seemed a logical choice for a Sunday evening, so I moved in that directions, On the way some poor man decided that he had to tell me how beautiful I am and try to chat me up.  I was seriously not interested and luckily Polidor was, well what do you know, “right here.”  So I ducked in the restaurant and fortunately he did not follow me.  I ordered pumpkin soup (I had to fight with myself to not order Fois Gras!), Pork in a curry sauce, and chocolate ice cream, which was wonderfully cool.  But about half way through, one again no good deed went unpunished (I had picked up the tab for those Texans earlier in the day, kind of a pay it forward thing) and I realized that I had little or no euros on me, and that Polidor was a cash only place.  Visions of touring the inside of a local police station or being allowed to spend time in the kitchen danced in my head.  I told the lady that I had a problem and she was very gracious about it.  I left her (Fortuantly I did have some American cash on me) $60.00 and told her I would go to get Euros and be back.  So the Blessing?  Well on my way up Rue Racine a second time I ran into a lovely mother and daughter from the US and we chatted for about 20 minutes.  In my life I seem to be blessed with sliver linings in every cloud!

No comments: