Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Fish Heads Swimming











When I am in Paris, the last thing I expect on a Capreses salad is canned tomato.  I wandered the neighbor hood this evening, not horribly hungry but wanting something different from a salad.  I should have stuck to my guns because I finally went in the Café Bastille and ordered a Mozzarella, Tomatoes and Procuitto salad.  It was absolutely the worst meal I have ever had in Paris, and that is including MacDOO!  I was so astonished that I even tried the tomatoes but they were mushy canned tomatoes and I was dismayed.  After, though,  I had a tiny cup of Gelato from a local place and it was very good, it did not make up for the bad tomatoes though.  While I was eating my gelato, I watched these guys (I must apologies for the photo quality all I had was my phone available to take a photo) do their act.  These guys were pretty spetacular, the white guy could be perpendicular to the ground and holding himself up on only one hand.  I hope that they are here for the kids to see.  The area around the entrance to Cour Damoye is very lively.  The evenings are lush with the voices of people visiting with each other, sharing an evening drink, some time and the open air. 

It was another lovely day here and I met up with Laura, Lauren (Mother and daughter in the photo, alas I did not get a photo of Laura) Louise and Christian (the chef and instructor) at our metro stop.  We again walked the street looking at what was available today and then decided on a menu.  Bet you can’t guess what kind of butcher is in the picture!  Today’s Menu, though, consisted of Sea Bass en Papillote, Guinea Fowl in a mushroom sauce and mashed potatoes and celery root. A cheese course, of course  And we prepared Molten Chocolate cake for dessert, but never fear I did learn a new twist on it, Sauce au Folle!  Fish again! I may just turn into a fish lover!  And we are not talking your regular run of the mill Long John Silvers here!  Moist, savory fish prepared in ways that I am really enjoying.  AND I am preparing it!  Making the fish stock is a hoot, I would have taken photos of it, but it seemed so invasive of the privacy of the poor dead fish heads swimming in our boiling water!  This was my last day class, and it sort of made me sad when I had to say good-bye to the cheese shop lady! 

When class was over I went back to Rue Montmartre looking for a silicone rolling pin, but Simon did not have one, and the other stores were twice as much, at those prices I can purchase one when I get home, which leaves me with the dough problem for tomorrow morning, but I will figure it. 

While I was out walking this evening I noticed that the Metro stop just up the street is one of the lovely Art Deco versions, I will have to try to arrange a nicer photo (again I just had my trusty I Phone) later.  Also I have to mention that I am fascinated with the building across from me.  I thought the apartment was empty, I can clearly see stairs up to the roof, but I think that there is someone living there, It does not look even remotely like it is inhabited, but rather like a show rooms.  Oh my gosh, I am turning into Mrs. Cravitz!  I hope no one saw me taking photos to share with you all. Bon Soir.

2 comments:

Scobb said...

This all sounds so fun...I read every night to catch up on your lovely vaca.

Laura said...

And the pictures are spectacular! It took me a minute of thinking to realize what the ring rolling thing was...just a naive farm girl from the heartland, that is me!