Wednesday, June 24, 2009

So Far to the Top Saturday, June 6, 2009















 Well the kids are experiencing the high point of their trip as I type.  They are swimming in “cold but warm” pool in about 65-degree weather at the hotel in St. Jean le Thomas.  We let the kids sleep in again today and Jodi and I went across for breakfast in the breakfast areas in the hotel Des Bains.  The visit to Le Mont Sainte Michele went over like a bag of rocks, the climbing was too hard, it was too hot, it was so old, and so on.  It was incredibly crowded and we did manage to find yet another mean person there.  I seriously do wonder how I manage to encounter most of the classical mean French people here. The kids had not had breakfast or lunch as of yet, so I thought it would be cool to have an Mt. St Michele omlette, however we encountered the problem of: what sounded good to one did not to the other, We continued on looking and they both agreed on a Nutella Crepe.  It was a little “half self service” sort of place and the little angel at the crepe counter handed us a tray with 4, count ‘em, four plastic place settings and when she realized that Jodi wanted only a coke, she reached out and took one back and when I ordered  only a coffee for my self she snatched up another. She then had to take a whole five steps and tell the person who was ringing the order up, about the fact that we were not all getting something to eat.  She managed during this tirade, to burn the nutella in Courtney’s crepe, which had been scantily applied to begin with.  At the end of this delightful encounter she told us to go upstairs to sit, where we were alone and without a view!  What a Peach, or should I san Normandy Apple?

Anyway, Joeys post viewing comment is “it was amazing”, and Courtney’s is it was “awesome, I liked it”.Personally I am amazed each time I have the privilege if going there, at the amount of work it took to build this place on an island over 1,000 years ago.  IT is hard to imagine how the work would be done today with all of our modern abilities and machinery, and to take it to the next step is beyond me.  I asked the kids to pretend that it is 1000 years ago and that they were one of the monks that lived there, but I got a “I would never go down if I had to come back up here again.  I wonder if I gave my parents this much heck?

While were at the top someone had written Happy Birthday in French in the sand, it was so fun.  I took that opportunity to shame my family because they had not done that for me! 

So, After the swimming affair, we took off for St. Malo.  It was a fortified island in the middle ages, but is now part of the mainland and the fortified (walled) city still remains, though of course the population had spread well beyond the old walls.  We drove and drove to get there and it started raining like crazy, how ever I had not been there and Jodi seemed eager to see it so we persevered.  We ate dinner at a outdoor cafe, Joey having mussels this time, scallops for me, a hamburger for Coutney (I Think) and Jodi just did her best to not be ill over the smell of our seafood.   We were sitting near a outdoor gas heater and I blame it on the heater rather than the seafood!  We sat next to a couple from Holland and it was fun to chat with them.  I love chatting with someone and engaging the kids in the conversation!  As we left the sun was setting and Jodi took that opportunity to take some more sunset photos!  We still had a long drive back, but it was worth the trip.  

No comments: