Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Sunday, May 31, 2009 - Make Up and Merry-Go-Rounds









Make up and Merry Go Rounds

Sunday, while everyone snoozed, (In light of this photo there had to be some bad dreaming involved!) I went to the market.  It was rather bitter sweet as I knew it would probably be my last visit to this market for now.  I took a bunch of photos, but the one that tickled me the most was the people lined up at the fish market.  In most stalls there may be a person or two, maybe even three, in front of you.  At the fish stalls though people were lined up as if they were giving it away.  I do think the fish is fresher here than at home, certainly than what we can purchase in good old Indiana.  By the way these green wheat like things are wild asparagus!  They are so mild!  I bought a fig and some Breton sweet bread for the kids to try.  I have been ENGOURAGING them to try new stuff on this trip.  Somehow I think Joe got my genes for that and I don’t know what food genes Courtney got!  He is all about most of what they have tried and she is a willing victim, but one bite is enough.  When I got back I  placed out a nice big spread of cheese, bread, meat, and of course the Frosted Flakes we purchased at the Monoprix!

We all just slipped in the doors of Notre Dame as the service began, and it was almost familiar to me by now.  The choir was probably the nicest so far, and the sermon short.  That is a good thing with kids who do not understand most of what is going on.

After, we had negotiated this prior; we went to Square JeanXXIII ( the park behind Notre Dame) where there is a “round spinney thing” on which the kids wanted to play.  They seemed to have a great time.  And it was fun to watch them play, such an example of where they are in life right now.  Make up and merry go-rounds, independence and “I miss my momma” are the contrasts in their lives.

We came back freshened up a bit and ate late lunch-early dinner at the Indiana CafĂ©, one of several in the city, near the apartment.  It was not like eating in Indiana though.

We had a 6PM Segway trip Sunday evening, I was tres thrilled and Jodi and the kids were ecstatic about it.  I was worried about my sense of balance, I have never been athletic in any way, or particularly graceful, and I was afraid I would tip the damned thing over.  Not to mention, rolling around on two wheels with a helmet on, is not my idea of a lovely Sunday evening in Paris.  But a girl does what a girl has to do to keep those she loves happy.  And happy they were! Driving the darned thing was not so bad. However, I felt like a dog in a Halloween costume, rolling around Paris like that.  I did enjoy our guide, he was a nice young man who really had some education on the places we visited and I learned more about this lovely city and French history in general.  There were a couple of times that I did not necessarily agree with his commentary, but why argue with him in front of the other tourists.  I did HAVE to mention it to Jodi later; she said, “I behaved nicely”! 

No comments: