Saturday, June 13, 2009

Je ne suis pas ancienne! June 3, 2009









Today is my birthday, my 50th birthday to be exact.  The day for which I escaped to Paris.  The day on which I am always a little weepy and the day that  I think should be so very special.  My parents made it so as a child and I feel entitled to the same as an adult!  Usually I just take the day off from work, but I think 50 is a milestone.  I also knew that

none of my loved ones would know who to invite or what I would want for a BD party, so rather than stay here and feel sorry for myself that I did not get what I wanted (but of course had not told anyone - funny how no one can read my mind!) I made plans for this trip.   I got great mileage in the anticipation of planning, so really for me it was a whole year of anticipation.  I think I got my money's worth!

 So today I got up and let everyone sleep, I made myself a fabulous cup of coffee and did some blogging, trying to get caught up, and to be honest some (facebook) general computer piddling.  Then a little later I woke up Jodi and she and I left the kids and went for breakfast and some market shopping.  Breakfast was the usual coffee and croissant, but, hey, I LOVE it!  The market was so very fun, I wish I had taken more time and enjoyed it even more as I purchased a very fun top/jacket and even more "funner" dress.  I could not wait to wear the dress, but alas did not have the leggings to wear under it!  We purchased a couple more scarves and some tinned Fois Gras for later!  Jodi was horrified at all the pig parts for sale for people to eat.  All I could think was how much the kids (dogs) would have loved them!   We stopped in Monoprix for some sundries and then too soon, but due my worry about the kids we returned to the apartment.  They were up, the bed made and one of them had actually showered.  They were hungry of course, and we had not yet been to Angelina for some hot chocolate as a family, so off we went.  The kids had each had a Croque Monsieur and I had a round of the white chocolate macarons.  I wanted to order just one, and had to order 3 (I think, maybe 4) and as much as I like them more than one was too much.  I conned the kids into sharing, but I am thinking their palates are not that sophisticated yet! Mc Donald’s will do that you you!  The chocolate was thick, chocolaty and served with a huge parfait glass of chantilly (whipped cream). Upon leaving there we did some last minute souvenir shopping.  I had chosen a restaurant called Le Petite Margery for dinner and we needed to change for dinner.  We all clean up rather well and we did dress for dinner this evening, just to please me! Jodi and I each ordered a Kir Royal and for the kids I asked for something festive, they ended up with OJ with bubbly water.  I had Fois Gras with Rhubarb, Duck Breast with a honey sauce and gratinated raspberries and strawberries for dessert.  We ended up chatting with our neighbors who were also American.  The food was all very good and we had a good time together.  On the trip back Courtney got a serenade from some stranger in the metro, we don’t think she knew what she thought about that!  All in all just being in Paris with a part f my family made it a very good day!

 

No comments: